Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Means or End? May 14


While walking around at the Louvre, I noticed that, soon after I got there, I was completely worn out. Not in the sense that this week and last has been packed full of walking, and that my body was exhausted, but I think that the overwhelming size of the Louvre itself had me worn down. I was trying to think about mapping, but also trying to find works of art that I was "supposed" to see while I was there. I began to think about the function of the benches in the gigantic museum. I tried to think of these benches in a different light, rather than being a temporary pause within a long journey, maybe these benches were several destinations
in several different journeys. Like how one person may walk through the French painting area of the Louvre, continue through the Sculpture rooms and then sit on a bench. End of journey. Then picking up and deciding where to go or when to leave this place is the start of a new journey. In this way, a bench is less a refresher for a continuous trek, but more a place to recycle old paths and then create a new one.
My map would be a time based map, one made into a movie of sorts. The legend for my map would entail reading the movements of someones feet or body through a space in a central white frame. The other frames around this central frame would be the still photographs of these benches, and a persons body superimposed over the photos with low opacity so that the bench is the central focus of the map, and the person moving through the map shows the function of the map rather than a sign or symbol giving the information.

No comments: